A majority of modern vehicles contain a diesel fuel injector that makes it possible to determine how much fuel to use. They work much more efficiently than the carburettors found in older vehicles, and are also one of the reasons that newer models have much better fuel economy.
Although fuel injection systems are very efficient, they nonetheless require routine maintenance to perform effectively. A simple way to keep a diesel fuel injector in good working condition is by scheduling a fuel injection service.
How Often is a Fuel Injection Service Required?
In order to keep your diesel fuel injector performing optimally, a fuel injection service is recommended approximately every 45,000 miles, or every three years. Of course, this figure can vary depending on the type of vehicle you own and the manufacturer. You can find the recommendation for your specific make/model in your owner’s manual.
Common Signs That Your Vehicle Needs a Fuel Injection Service
All vehicles will display a number of symptoms if the diesel fuel injector is dirty or clogged. Paying attention to these symptoms will allow you to promptly schedule a fuel injection service to prevent any damage from occurring. Common signs might include:
- Unexplained Decrease in Fuel Economy: A sharp drop in your vehicle’s fuel economy is one of the most common symptoms of a clogged or dirty fuel injection system. Diesel fuel injectors that have any blockages will prevent the system from accurately supplying the right amount of fuel to the engine.
- Poor Performance: A vehicle’s engine requires a constant input of fuel in order for continuous fuel combustion to occur. If there are any clogs in the fuel injection system, your engine won’t receive enough fuel. This will result in a noticeable lack of power when accelerating.
- Stalling or Stuttering: Any time that there is an issue with the fuel injection system, vehicles won’t operate properly. Stalling and stuttering are both common signs that are associated with the fuel injection system. Many assume that a failing fuel pump leads to these problems, but a bad clog in the diesel fuel injector can also cause the same issue.
What Does a Fuel Injection Service Involve?
A complete fuel injection service involves several different steps that help to keep the fuel injector functioning properly. These steps include:
- Evaluation of the fuel pump pressure/volume
- Inspection of the pressure regulator
- Flushing of the fuel rail and fuel injector screen
- Flushing and cleaning of all fuel injectors
- Flushing of the air passages and throttle valve
- Engine computer check-up to ensure that the right combination of air and fuel is flowing through the system
Looking for a Quality Fuel Injection Service?
If your vehicle is experiencing any of the above symptoms, it’s important to act quickly and schedule a fuel injection service to avoid any potential damage. At the Welham Group, we can efficiently diagnose and fix any diesel fuel injector issues. Alongside injector cleaning services and injector refurbishments, we also offer diagnosis and repair in Leicestershire and across the UK for a wide variety of vehicles – from standard cars to agricultural vehicles. Contact us for more information.